Important dates, reminders, and campus information.
If you are considering a career in cybersecurity, Coleman University has the perfect program for you. At Coleman University, we offer a Cybersecurity program that prepares you for the industry and the challenges of today. In this program, you will learn how to protect against web threats, create secure networks and even how to hack, so you can have a better understanding of how the hackers think and act.
Companies’ awareness of how crucial it is to protect their information and their clients’ are increasing every year. When data branches happen, it is easy to have important information exposed, such as social security numbers, credit card information, bank account information, etc. And, they want to avoid that at all costs. It is bad for their business and their image. That’s why cybersecurity is booming, and will be reaching even greater heights in the future, creating thousands of job positions and opportunities for professionals.
As government agencies and private companies make cybersecurity a priority, opportunities in the industry are increasing. At Coleman University, the Cybersecurity program coursework is focused on computer networking concepts, server interfaces, network security, and more. Coleman graduates enter the workforce with the right skills to help make the Internet a safer place.
If you want to learn more about what makes this program the best one for your future career, below is a list of five reasons why Coleman University is the best place for you to get your Cybersecurity degree:
1. You will have access to the most up-to-date information.
It is critical that cybersecurity professionals are up-to-date with all the technology, especially, today, with all the changes that are happening at such a fast pace. At Coleman University, we have the latest software and hardware packages, keeping students in tune with the latest trends and new developments.
At Coleman University, we offer a curriculum that covers everything students will need to enter the workforce well-prepared.
2. You will be given foundational knowledge about cybersecurity.
It is our goal that all students learn various processes and technologies that are necessary to succeed in a career in cybersecurity. Students will start with four preparatory classes that will introduce them to the core tenets of cybersecurity.
The four introductory classes are:
NET 110 A+ Repairing and Maintaining PCs
This course is designed to give the student a solid theory basis for PC hardware. The course covers system types, system assembly, PC components, and diagnostic tools. Emphasis is placed on understanding the PC components, how they function, and troubleshooting skills. Additional topics include PC installation, configuration, upgrading, troubleshooting, diagnosing, safety, preventative maintenance, operating systems diagnostics, and operating system upgrades.
NET 250 Networking Concepts
This course covers the basic concepts of local area networks (LANs) and their technologies. This course uses a technical approach to LANs, including an overview of networking protocols, topographies, media, and networking devices using the Open System Interconnection (OSI) reference model. This course shows how data flows from the home, small office/home office (SOHO), and enterprise networks.
NET 210 Wireless Technologies
This course is a concept and theory class on today’s wireless technologies in use. Topics covered are wireless LANs, satellite communications, cellular technology, Bluetooth, global positioning systems, as well as general wireless digital technologies. Students go through the various aspects of each interface, including coding, hardware, and possible exploitable points.
COM 259 Linux Fundamentals
History, concepts, and facilities of the LINUX operating system will be discussed. The course introduces the user interface, common commands, and basic system administration of a LINUX operating system. Students learn how to write and execute LINUX shell scripts used for the controlled execution of a series of basic LINUX commands. The basics of script writing (creation, writing in the shell programming language, debugging, and execution) will be covered, along with an overview of built-in shell commands available to the user. Advanced topics include use of user/shell/environmental variables, script commands for decision-making, looping and flow control, and creation of shell aliases and functions.
Once the foundational classes are completed, students will be subjected to more specialized coursework, ranging from Advanced TCP/IP integration to Virtualization. Coleman University also requires students to take SEC 210 Ethics, Policies, and Procedures, since the cybersecurity industry is related to law enforcement. This course will introduce students to the importance of developing an information security documentation program and how to develop and implement effective policies and procedures. The course focuses on technology writing, legal and ethical issues, fair use policies, information protection, policy development, standards, information classification, and security checklists.
The goal of the Cybersecurity program is to produce skilled graduates, able to integrate into a variety of positions in the cybersecurity industry.
3. You will learn multiple skills.
At Coleman University, students learn how to be prepared to work in an industry that is dynamic and has multiple facets. For that to happen, they must learn a variety of skills and cover different subjects and technologies, such as multiple operating systems and cloud technologies.
As part of Coleman University’s program you will have:
• An in-depth understanding of operating systems, networks, virtualization software. Since cyber-attacks happen across different operating systems (OS, Windows, LINUX, etc.), you must possess a thorough knowledge of how these operating systems work. Though used to accomplish the same general tasks, operating system coding can be very dissimilar. As a result, a cybersecurity expert must know how each system works, including the weak, exploitable points that hackers may target.
• Proficiency with LINUX coding language. Since in-house security software development is an important part of an organization’s security policy, one must possess the skills and knowledge to safeguard valuable information through effective coding. Oftentimes, data breaches are the result of small vulnerabilities overlooked by programmers who lack the understanding of data security measures. Though the average college computer science program may touch upon it briefly, many programmers lack the skills to properly address coding flaws that safeguard against attacks. That is where the Cybersecurity program from Coleman University comes into play.
• Advanced network-to-network connectivity. Through classes like NET 260 Linux Network Administration and NET 225, Introduction to CISCO Networking, students are introduced to network security issues, including authentication, attacks, malicious code, remote access, web and email security, wireless networking, instant messaging, network devices, network security topologies, cryptography, and disaster recovery. These classes include both theory-based and hands-on training to develop a fundamental understanding of how computers communicate.
• Cloud technologies. Through the use of virtualization, Coleman University utilizes a strategic technology that forms the basis for private and public cloud systems and reduces overall IT cost. Students will learn virtualization architecture, platforms, and technologies that will prepare them for a career in network management.
4. Career Growth.
The cybersecurity industry has many different career fields. And, since every company needs to protect their information and can employ a cybersecurity expert, the possibilities range from careers in law enforcement to Fortune 500 companies.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, information security jobs are expected to grow at a rate of 36% by 2024. And, as we become more and more dependable on technology to deal with all our data, the threats become greater and so does the necessity of an expert to make the web safer.
Coleman University provides all current students and graduates with lifetime job placement assistance through the Career Services department. Also, Career Services representatives are available to assist you, by reviewing and critiquing your resume, performing a mock interview, and other services that will help students and graduates find the right job for them.
5. Small classes and inverted curriculum.
At Coleman University, we offer small classes. This allows us to focus on hands-on education, in which students’ participation is highly encouraged. Also, our inverted curriculum enables students to receive their career training early in their program, making it possible for them to become a qualified IT-professional in a matter of months.
The cybersecurity industry will continue to grow as we rely more on technology to handle personal and confidential data. Considering this, even the smallest possibility for data branches are dangerous and scary, and here is where the cybersecurity expert becomes indispensable.
To build a successful career in cybersecurity it is crucial to have multiple skills and deep knowledge of trends and operating systems. At Coleman University, you can learn everything you need to become a cybersecurity expert and build a successful career in the industry.